Prayer and Communion Window
To illustrate the themes of prayer and communion, lower panels show Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, and then holding the bread and wine before a table representing the Last Supper. Look also for the olive tree, the descending dove of peace, and the communion elements of wheat and grape in the circle of eternity. The fields in the glass are enriched with foliated patterns in cool tones, borders of cloud forms, and yellow stars.
J. Franklin Fuller (1831- 1933) was a civil engineer who moved to West Newton in 1864, living at the corner of Highland and Valentine Streets. He oversaw parts of the ambitious endeavor of filling the Back Bay. His father, Stephen Palmer Fuller, served on the Back Bay Commission. As Newton developed, J. F. Fuller's name appears frequently as the surveyor on subdivision plans and street layouts in the last quarter of the 19th century.
In 1916, in memory of his wife Caroline, Fuller donated the chapel altar window, created by the New York studio of Henry Wynd Young and evoking medieval window designs. At the time of Fuller’s death in 1933 at nearly 102 years of age, he was Newton's oldest resident (obituary, Newton Graphic 5/26/1933).
Click or tap the image to enlarge it.
Designer: Charles J. Connick Associates
Dedication Date: 1977
Restoration Date: 2022
Donor: Elizabeth Kilburn, granddaughter of J. Franklin Fuller
Location: North transept, Fuller Chapel