Designer: Henry Wynd Young
Dedication Date: 1916
Dedication: In Memory of Mrs. J. Franklin Fuller by her husband
Location: North Transept
Click or tap the image to enlarge it.
Fuller Chapel Window
From left to right: The Angel of Annunciation (Gabriel) brings the news of the coming of the Lord to the Virgin. To the right, Mater Dolorosa (Mother of Sorrows) with thoughts of the Resurrection being given comfort by the Angel of Consolation (Raphael).
A small emblem with the words "Ave Maria Gratia Plena" ("Hail Mary, Full of Grace") is in the upper left corner above the Angel of Annunciation. The angel holds white lilies symbolic of Mary's purity.
A communion chalice is above the Angel of Consolation, and the angel holds a golden censer which is filled with incense that came with the prayers of all saints (Revelations 3: 3-5).
"The Gift of God is Eternal Life" (Romans 6:23) is inscribed across the bottom of the window.
This was the first window at Second Church. The Virgin figure was directly inspired by a similar window in the Chapel of New College in Oxford, England. The overall silvery effect is reminiscent of 15th century English glass. The various tints of white create the icy effect and are an example of Young's trademark subtle palette. There are no straight lines, reminding us that this window is truly handmade. The glass was imported from England. The rich texture of the pinks and purples came from the gold dust that was mixed with the pigment in the molten glass. The cartoons (working drawings) for the windows would have been drawn by John Gordon Guthrie.*
*The text of this paragraph was taken from a lecture given at Second Church in November 2008 by Peter Cormack, an English historian of English and American stained glass.